Monday, January 25, 2010

Choices

As a first grade teacher I probably said "you choose" hundreds of times a day...allowing the students to have the power to choose and take responsibility for their actions and reminding them that with each action they choose will influence the rest of their day. Now as a teacher of preteens I am often reminding my students of the choices they make has a direct impact on them.
  • What to wear to school
  • To eat breakfast or skip it
  • To listen in class or not to listen in class
  • To be prepared for class or not be prepared
  • To do your homework or not to
  • To set a positive or negative example to others
  • To be respectful to your peers or not
  • To study for the test or not to study

Well you get the point. We also talk about how each of these choices brings about a consequence. The consequence can be a positive or negative one...that is up to them to choose which one they would like.

Choices follow us around through life...they don't go away when we graduate from high school. As much as I tell my students they have choices and their choices will make an impact on them later in life, whether it be later in that hour or in the week or the next year, that choice will leave a mark, I have choices too...thousands of them daily that will impact not only my life but the lives of all of those around me.

Although, I have been telling kids for years their choices have an impact, in the past few months I have just come to the realization how much of an impact some choices have had in my life. Some of the choices were choices I made. Others were choices made by individuals that directly or indirectly impacted me and have been part of making me the person I am today. I am glad some of those choices were made, and would never consider reversing them. There are other choices, however, I wished never occurred but I can't turn back time. I can't change the past; but I do have the opportunity to CHOOSE to change my future and change how I allow the choices of the past to influence me.

Today, I am choosing to love others.

Today, I am choosing to look on the bright side.

Today, I am choosing to put relationships first.

Today, I am choosing to think outside the box.

Today, I am choosing to be thankful for the little things.

Today, I am choosing to use my resources more wisely.

Today, I am choosing to allow my Lord and Savior to heal me.

Today, I am choosing to appreciate those God has placed in my life.

Today, I am choosing to look towards the future and not dwindle on the past.

Today, I am choosing to be content where God has me for this time and season in my life.

Today, I am choosing to use the passions that run deep inside me to make a positive impact on the world around me.

Today, I am choosing to let the creator of the Universe hold my hand as I walk through each moment of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment